Sunday, May 07, 2006

An Anniversary, and a Memory

SEE ENTIRE BOSTON GLOBE ARTICLE

FOR EDUCATIONAL AND OTHER FAIR-USE PURPOSES ONLY -
IT'S THE SIXTY-FIRST ANNIVERSARY OF V.E. DAY TOMORROW,
VICTORY IN EUROPE, MAY 8, 1945, to MAY 8, 2006; OVER 400,000
AMERICANS DIED IN WORLD WAR II, OVER 55,000,000 WORLD WIDE.

The Boston Globe

World War II veteran recalls the end of another, different war
By Joseph Barisano May 7, 2006

World War II ended in Europe on Thursday, May 8, 1945, and we looked forward to returning to our homes. For many parents whose sons were killed in action, there was nothing to look forward to, no one to welcome home. Some parents wrote to their son's buddies asking them to visit their son's grave. I was one of the GIs who received such a request. ''Before you come home, I wish you would visit my son's grave and say a prayer for me..."

...It was a slow, bumpy ride to Soisson, and just before we arrived one of the bus tires blew out and we landed in a ditch on the side of the road... Slowly we walked to Soisson, which was about a half-mile or so away. Entering the town I noticed some French soldiers... I followed them to a small house where two young French officers were seated at a table. One of them got up and motioned to follow him outside to a Jeep. Off we went!

It was a short drive to the American cemetery and what I immediately noticed was an American flag in the center of the rows of white crosses and Stars of David. I looked around the cemetery thinking I would find a GI there, a caretaker. I discovered I was the only GI there! Along with the French officer, I began to walk between the white wooden crosses, searching for my buddy's grave. At last, I found a dogtag nailed on a white cross with his name, Richard F. Aylward. I stood in front of his grave and said, ''Buddy, I'm here. Your mother sends her love." Standing behind me was a French officer who was holding my camera. I asked him to take pictures of the grave and a few with me by the side of the grave.

I was the only living American in the cemetery on that damp, drizzly late morning -- and I was mad as hell! Suddenly I began to throw a fit -- a fit of anger. I began shouting. ''I made it! I made it!" I cried, out of control. As I rambled on, the French officer wrapped his arms around me and began to move me away from the grave. As we walked away, I paused, turned around, and began to shout, ''See you later, guys!" My eyes filled with tears, I cried unashamedly.

The young French officer brought me back to the small house in the village and poured a glass of cognac and urged me to drink it. Talking with another officer, it was decided that I should be driven back to Paris. Returning to Paris, I checked in at a hotel reserved for GIs, and after taking a hot bath, I crawled into bed and immediately fell alsleep.

Back in Munich, I had the roll of film developed and mailed the photos to Aylward's mother. Weeks passed, and then a letter arrived from her thanking me for visiting her beloved son's grave and urged me to visit her and the family when I returned home.

Returning home, I went to visit the Aylwards and tears began to flow. I was continuously hugged and kissed by the family. I recounted how I found my way to Soisson and how I misplaced the name and address of the French officer who drove me to the cemetery.

Staff Sargeant Richard F. Aylward was 21 years old when he was killed in action on December 2, 1944. As I sit here writing, I see myself walking slowly between the rows of crosses and begin to wonder how I managed to survive the war.

Staff Sergeant Richard F. Aylward now lies in peace among 5,255 of our military dead at the Epinal American Cemetery and Memorial, situated on a plateau in the foothills of the Vosges Mountains in Vosges, France. Plot B, Row 5, Grave 13.

Hail and farewell, dear brother.

Richard F. Aylward was a native of Orient Heights, East Boston. Joseph Barisano grew up in Orient Heights and lives in Nahant.

© Copyright 2006 Globe Newspaper Company.

SEE ENTIRE BOSTON GLOBE ARTICLE

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home